Conditions of education
Pryazovskyi State Technical University is one of the oldest educational establishments in Donetsk Oblast. PSTU was certified by ІSО 9001:2008 and has 4th level (the highest) accreditation. PSTU was founded in 1930 as a professional training school for the workers of ILYICH Iron & Steel Works. Originally Mariupol Metallurgical Institute, in 1993 the Cabinet of Ukraine issued Resolution No.956, making it a Technical University. The university has 9 faculties and 45 departments.
It also incorporates 3 research institutes, 4 colleges, a Professional Education Lyceum, and two Technical Secondary Schools. PSTU provides In-Service Training and Continuous Education Institute and a Preparatory Department.
The university offers graduate and professional educational programs for students from the Azov Sea region, Ukraine and other countries. The student body includes about 11.000 students working towards bachelor, specialist and master degrees. The advanced degree programs are offered through the postgraduate department.
Today the faculty of the University is 500 teaching staff, including 46 professors with doctorates and about 229 docents with the degree of candidate of science. Among them are 50 full and affiliated members of various branch academies of sciences in Ukraine and abroad, 6 honored fellows of science and engineering, laureates of national prizes and honored workers in education of Ukraine.
- Social and Humanitarian
- Power Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering and Welding
- Engineering and Language Training
- Information Technologies
- Transport Technologies
In addition to academic and research divisions, PSTU maintains an IT Centre, Labour Resource Management Centre, and Priazovie Cultural Center.
- Bachelor’s level (B) – 4 years. The student must take final examination.
- Master’s degree (M) – Bachelor Degree plus 1,4 year, plus a thesis (final paper).
- Candidate of Science (CandSc), equivalent to PhD – up to three additional years, plus dissertation.
- Doctorate (DSc) – postgraduate students may study toward a doctorate in some of the fields of knowledge, but must defend their thesis mostly elsewhere. PSTU has Academic Council on defending candidate and doctoral dissertations and inferring academic titles of a candidate and doctor of science in some specific areas like economics, mechanics, metallurgy and transport, welding.
Teaching aids and facilities: 41 computer labs, free Internet connection, presentation facilities in classrooms, specialized laboratory equipment, library.
International cooperation: PSTU collaborates with universities in Germany, Poland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, China and other countries under student and teacher mobility programmes (semester studies, internships, joint research activities, etc.).
Student benefits: medical and health care centres; International Club; driving school; sport centre and all-year-round football field; summer camp on the Sea of Azov; Meothida disco club; Magia fashion studio; musical theatre-studio. Non-resident students are provided with accommodation in the university dormitories.
Academic initiatives: – Pryazovskyi State Technical University is implementing the European educational degree standards. This is a response to the innovative trends in higher educational systems in Europe, and is linked to joining the Bologna Process. This will enhance the mobility of both students and professors and contribute to one of the Bologna Process priorities, i.e. establishing recognition of diplomas across universities. Thus, newly trained graduates will have better opportunities in labour markets worldwide.
The university’s strategic plan for the future calls for generation, preservation, dissemination and application of knowledge and cultivation of arts to benefit the people of Mariupol, the nation and the global community.
DESCRIPTION OF STAGES
STAGE 1 – Preparatory Department
Provides pre-university language and general engineering training. Period of studies is one year. Academic year begins in September-November and finishes in June. Main subjects include: the Ukrainian language, Russian language, mathematics, physics, chemistry, informatics, biology, geography, country studies, history of Ukraine. This is completed with a Certificate which makes the students eligible to continue education at the University faculties or in other institutions of higher learning in Ukraine.
STAGE 2 – Degree programmes at PSTU faculties: B / M degrees
PSTU Faculties and Departments provide training in a variety of academic fields within bachelor and master degree programmes. Academic year begins on Sept 1 and finishes on June 30. Study programmes include fundamental and professionally-oriented disciplines; doing internships at companies within Mariupol. Bachelor degree (B) requires four years and is completed with a Diploma Project, depending on the study programme. Master’s degree (M) requires 1,4 year (after receiving the bachelor’s degree) and is completed with Master’s Graduation Paper.
STAGE 3 – Post-graduate Department and Doctoral Programme
Foreign citizens are offered post-graduate programmes at PSTU to work on the thesis in fulfillment of the requirements to the degree of Candidate of Science (CandSc) and Doctor of Science (DSc).
For graduates of Ukrainian universities period of studies is normally three years with prior degree of a master or a specialist and a certificate from the Preparatory Department. Graduates from abroad period of studies are first required to complete one year at the Preparatory Department. The recognition procedure of the master degree received at the university abroad should be completed during the first year of studies. The degree programme is completed with a dissertation.
Post-graduate students may work on a dissertation in certain fields, but in most cases, must defend it elsewhere.
PSTU has an Academic Council on defending candidate and doctoral dissertations and inferring academic titles of a candidate and doctor of science in some specific areas like economics, mechanics, metallurgy and transport, welding.
Foreign citizens are enrolled in accordance with Ukraine’s international agreements, as well as inter-state programs, contracts signed with juridical and other entities, as well as by direct applications of the foreign citizens.
Applicants must have basic general secondary education. Foreign citizens who studied in higher educational institutions abroad are enrolled at PSTU on submission of the certificates of the educational and qualification level they have obtained (based on evaluation of their documents). Those foreign citizens who hold university degrees and have demonstrated willingness and aptitude for research and scientific work may join the postgraduate and doctorate programs offered by the University.
Requirement for enrollees
The university enrolls foreign citizens, having legal right to stay in Ukraine and possess an invitation for education (such invitations are issued at the Dean’s office) and also have
- complete secondary education for training at preparatory courses and Bachelor’s degree in condition of their fluent knowledge of Ukrainian (Russian);
- basic higher education (on the basis of Bachelor’s diploma in case of equivalence of educational documents) for further obtaining the Specialist’s or Master’s degree.
A foreigner has to submit the following documents for enrolling:
- An invitation;
- Application paper-questionnaire;
- The original and a copy of the certificate of previous education;
- The original and a copy of the document (supplementary to the education certificate), containing information, regarding his/her progress in courses;
- Academic reference paper, issued by foreign/Ukrainian educational institution (in case of his/her transfer from another institution, or he/she resumes studying, beginning from the second year of studying);
- The original and a copy of the document, containing the information regarding the curriculum for his/her previous degree, the amount of credits received, duration of tuition and progress in subjects taught, gained for his/her previous degree for entering Master’s course or for post-diploma education;
- A copy of foreigner’s passport, or a document, verifying the identity of a person, who has no citizenship;
- A valid insurance policy (except persons, arrived from countries with which agreements on free urgent medical aid were concluded);
- 4 photographs 3.5 х 4.5mm in size (not glossy).
Foreign citizens, entering the post-graduate course have to submit an assay on his/her chosen speciality or a list of published scientific works and inventions, having official verification at applicants’ residence place.
The documents listed in items 2- 6 of this part have to be translated into Ukrainian, the translation is to be verified by a notary.
The documents are to be verified in the country of their issue in a manner, officially practiced for such verification and legalized in this country by a corresponding diplomatic office of Ukraine, unless otherwise specified by international agreements of Ukraine.
Traineeship and Internship
Foreign citizenshave an opportunity to apply for traineeship and / or internship within the professional areas where education is provided at PSTU. The duration and the costs involved are defined individually for each applicant and in compliance with the current laws and regulations.
SYSTEM OF EDUCATION
Preparatory Department for International Students
The Preparatory Department provides pre-university language and general training in technical, medical, economic and humanitarian fields.
The Academic year begins in September-November and finishes in June.
Main subjects include: the Russian language, mathematics, physics, chemistry, informatics, biology, geography, country studies, history of Ukraine.
On completion of the preparatory course of studies the students take final exams and receive a certificate. This certificate makes them eligible to continue education at the university faculties or in postgraduate departments of the institutions of higher learning in Ukraine.
Degree courses at the university faculties
PSTU provides instruction at its faculties in specific academic fields within bachelor and master degree programs. Academic programs include fundamental and professionally-oriented disciplines; doing internships at companies within Mariupol.
The academic year begins on Sept 1 and finishes on 30 June. The bachelor program lasts for 4 years and is completed with a State Examination; the master’s program lasts 1,4 year (after receiving the bachelor’s degree) and is completed with Master’s Graduation Paper.
Postgraduate Department and Doctoral Program
Foreign citizens are offered postgraduate studies and doctorate programs at PSTU to work on the thesis in fulfillment of the requirements to the degree of Candidate of Science and Doctor of Science.
Period of studies is 4 years with prior degree of a bachelor or a master and a certificate from the Preparatory Department.
PSTU has an Academic Council on defending candidate and doctoral dissertations in some specific areas like economics, mechanics, metallurgy and transport, welding.
Rules for admission of foreigners and non-residents for study
Recruitment of foreign citizens for training, reception and admission to the University, organization and control of the educational process, accommodation and other tasks performs the Faculty of engineering and language training.
Admission for study is carried out through on the basis of the Contract signed by the University administration with the applicant or any other physical or juridical persons; admission is possible on the basis of international agreements by letters of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
Tuition for the contract on the first-fifth courses are formed in April and May of each year and constantly updated online on “Admission” on main menu.
The average boarding fee is setting by campus administration.
For receiving the invitation for study:
- candidates have to fill in an application form and send it to: fax: +380 629 342340 WhatsApp: +380505290322; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- candidates have to send copies of passport and school leaving certificate with marks (grades);
- after all these procedures the invitation to study in Ukraine will be drawn up.
For receiving entry visa (D) for studying in Ukraine:
For receiving entry visa for studying in Ukraine candidates have to send a request to The Embassy of Ukraine in their own or foreign country by filling in application form for getting entry visa for studying in Ukraine and enclosing University invitation.
After receiving entry visa (D) in the Embassy of Ukraine for studying, please inform the Faculty of engineering and language training via e-mail or the following tel. about date of Your arrival and your flight number to Kyiv city.
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND LANGUAGE TRAINING
The main tasks of the Faculty of Engineering and Language Training are:
1. Ensuring the necessary conditions for training according to the program of preparing foreign citizens for entering higher education institutions, organizing the acquisition by foreign students of bachelor’s and master’s levels of higher education, quality training of highly qualified scientific specialists based on the up-to-date level of knowledge and scientific research;
2. Organization of the recruitment of foreign citizens for studying in accordance with the Procedure for organizing the recruitment and training (internship) of foreigners and stateless persons (Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine on November 1, 2013 No. 1541 (as amended by the order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine of December 11, 2015 No. 1272), the preparation of invitations to study, organizational work to ensure the registration of a residence permit, registration of the place of residence and stay of foreigners and stateless persons in Ukraine at an educational institution on legal grounds;
3. The organization of the educational process for foreign students in full-time and part-time forms of education, by type of training in the disciplines of the departments in accordance with the approved curricula and schedules for preparing foreign citizens to enter higher educational institutions, training of specialists at educational levels of bachelor and master.
Teaching of foreign citizens at Priazovskyi State Technical University (formerly Zhdanov institute of Metallurgy) first started in 1973, when 11 Polish 9 German and Mongolian students were enrolled, who later successfully graduated and got their diplomas. The deans of the faculty, who contributed much to this difficult, crucial but very important task were: Dyana Rogayeva (1973-1976), Alexey Belyi (1976-1981), Vyacheslav Royanov (1981-1983), Alexander Maystyruk (1983-1986), Fedor Gavrilov (1986-1997), Vitalyi Evchenko (1997-2004) and Iirina Marchenko (2004-2010). The faculty of engineering and language training was set up in 2009 and comprises three departments: Foreign languages department, department of humanities and language training of foreign citizens and the Department of general education disciplines.
Since the year of 2010 the faculty is headed by Yurii Sahirov.
Over 1,500 foreign citizens have been trained at the university since 1976. Diplomas of Masters and Specialists were granted to 820 foreign students, certificates of completion of the course of language training were granted to 650 foreign students, that giving them an opportunity to continue their education at PTSU and other higher schools. Over 70 students completed a post graduate course and obtained doctorate degrees at PTSU, having defended their doctor’s theses at the departments of Cast iron, Steel metallurgy, Metal science and heat treatment, Thermal physics and many others. Alongside with traditional forms of tuition the practice of probation training became immensely popular and it allowed more than 30 foreign students to improve their knowledge of Russian and other technical subjects. As time went by Priazovskyi State Technical University became a big centre of training of international specialist for foreign countries. Geography of foreign students was gradually enlarged. For the period exceeding 40 years span students from 68 countries of the world studies at PSTU: India, Poland, Germany, Cuba, Greece, China, Pakistan, Turkey, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cameroon, Kenya, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Venezuela, Jordan, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, Peru, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Colombia, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and many others.
The main objective of the studies at the Preparatory Department is to provide international students with knowledge sufficient for understanding lectures and accomplishing assignments within graduate and post-graduate study programmes. The group usually includes 6-8 persons, which provides an individual approach and guarantees sound knowledge of the discipline. On completing the course of studies at the Preparatory Department, the students have a wide choice of professional areas (engineering, economics, transportation, civil construction, etc.) to continue their education towards bachelor, specialist and master degree either within PSTU or in other universities elsewhere in Ukraine The students who demonstrate outstanding abilities and willingness to be involved in research are offered opportunities to continue education in post-graduate programmes, working on their candidate and doctorate thesis. More than fifty foreign citizens have been successful in accomplishing the research and defending their thesis at the University.
Professors and teachers engaged in training the international students are well familiar with new teaching technologies and possess extensive experience of working with students from abroad. International students have access to all the University facilities as all regular PSTU students: free Internet access, library, computer labs, sport complex. For the period of studies, the students are provided with all necessary textbooks and teaching materials in the areas mentioned above. The Faculty has at its disposal specialized auditoriums for language (Ukrainian, Russian) and science (Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology) studies. There is a departmental library and auditoriums for independent studies. The classrooms are equipped with educational audio/visual aids and computers.
Along with regular studies, students take active part in the community life of the University: international student parties, concert programmes, and sport tournaments. Extra-curriculum activities involve excursion trips; vacation in the University Summer Camp outside Mariupol; visits to the Drama Theatre, city museums, University Concert Hall.
Foreign citizens have an opportunity to apply for in-service programmes within their professional areas. The duration and the expenses involved are defined individually for each applicant and in compliance with the current laws and regulations.
The graduates of the Faculty occupy administrative and management positions in governmental and research institutions, industrial companies in their own countries and abroad.
- 035.034 Slavic Languages and Literature (incl. translation), first – russian (bachalor)
- 035.041 Germanic Languages and Literature (incl. translation), first – english (bachalor)
- 071 Accounting and Audit (bachalor)
- 072 Finance, Banking and Insurance (bachalor)
- 073 Management (bachalor)
- 073 Management (master)
- 122 Computer Science (bachalor)
- 131 Applied mechanics (bachalor)
- 141 Electricity, electrical engineering and electromechanics (bachalor)
- 141 Electricity, electrical engineering and electromechanics (master)
- 144 Thermal Power Engineering (bachalor)
- 151 Automation and Computer-Integrated Technologies (bachalor)
- 192 Industrial and Civil Engineering (bachalor)
- 231 Social Work (bachalor)
- 275.03 Transport Technology (by Automobile Transport) (bachalor)
Syllabus for foreign students (in educational programs)
- 035.034 Slavic Languages and Literature (incl. translation), first – russian (bachalor, full-time)
- 035.041 Germanic Languages and Literature (incl. translation), first – english (bachalor, full-time)
- 071 Accounting and Audit (bachalor, full-time)
- 072 Finance, Banking and Insurance (bachalor, extramural)
- 073 Management (bachalor, full-time)
- 073 Management (master, full-time)
- 122 Computer Science (bachalor, full-time)
- 131 Applied mechanics (bachalor, full-time)
- 141 Electricity, electrical engineering and electromechanics (bachalor, full-time)
- 141 Electricity, electrical engineering and electromechanics (master, full-time)
- 144 Thermal Power Engineering (bachalor, full-time)
- 151 Automation and Computer-Integrated Technologies (bachalor, full-time)
- 192 Industrial and Civil Engineering (bachalor, full-time)
- 231 Social Work (bachalor, full-time)
- 275.03 Transport Technology (by Automobile Transport) (bachalor, full-time)